Tuesday 6 September 2011

iLOVEfilm

Contributing in my own little way to the demise of the cinema multiplex, I like to rent films from LOVEFILM, to enjoy movies in the comfortable surroundings of my home. I rarely go to the cinema although I do cherish the cinematic experience. But then I also like to wrap up in my duvet and binge on chocolate in my pyjamas which an Odeon ‘premier’ ticket cannot possibly compete with unless they take a very relaxed approach to appropriate cinema-attending attire and provide the duvets.

Anyhoo…

LOVEFILM screwed up my 3 DVDs a month arrangement and as a goodwill gesture sent me two films in the post; ‘Tangled’ and ‘Submarine’. It was a cunning move on their part to send such a killer combination of films. Tangled was impossibly cute and sufficiently Disney-esque although I still can’t shake off the 90s glory years of ‘The Little Mermaid’, ‘The Lion King’ etc. My tumblr dashboard seems to throw up images of Ariel and Belle at regular intervals (and I’m not complaining because I love to indulge in a little 90s Disney nostalgia). But Tangled was a cute fairytale with catchy ditties, funny little sidekicks, witty jokes and lashings of romance.

I was slightly wary of ‘Submarine’. I’d read enough reviews to know that the critics loved it but I think any semi-decent British film seems to gets hyped to skies because the bar is set so much lower. I mean, how many great British films can you remember? Only a handful, I’d imagine. I was also wary of comparisons to Wes Anderson. A film’s ‘quirkiness’ and affectations of cool are not an incentive for me to watch. I had sat through ‘The Royal Tenenbaums’ in the cinema and found it dull. I remember a couple of people walking out before it was over. And yet, critics had fawned all over it.

So it was with some trepidation that I watched Submarine. And whaddya know?

I LOVED IT!

I mean, it’s as hipster and quirky as all get out – there’s even a scene with fireworks and sparklers thrown in for good measure – and yet I loved everything about it. The scenery, sets and costumes are rich in colour and detail  – there are edited sequences of startling beauty – they obviously took great care in putting it together.


The actors are all wonderful. The central character, Oliver Tate, is an arrogant and at times unlikeable chap and he’s played brilliantly by Craig Roberts.  His love interest who is fabulously unimpressed by Oliver, is played by Yasmin Paige. If the characters were American, I’d imagine them to sound world weary and achingly hip but there’s a humour that undercuts their pretension and self-importance. Oliver may think himself an intellectual but he’s still the loser getting beaten up at school (I guess only Brits would find this funny).


The Alex Turner (he of the Arctic Monkeys) soundtrack is woven seamlessly into the film and characterises the emotional journey of Oliver. I've never considered myself a fan of the Monkeys but the soundtrack is just the most perfect accompaniment.




And did I mention it was funny? It’s touching, sweet and a little dark in places but it rattles along nicely and I wasn’t bored at all. It wasn’t twee for a coming-of-age story nor a rose-tinted nostalgia fest and yet it manages to hit all the right notes. So did the critics get it right for once? I think so. It’s a fantastic film and would make a great rental for rainy night in, box of chocolates in hand.



Note to LOVEFILM: You've earned my forgiveness.  Just don't screw up again, 'kay?

No comments:

Post a Comment