Tuesday 28 June 2011

Ghosts of Electricity

I was going to blog about my weight today because it’s been depressing me lately but for some reason I want today’s blog entry to be blues-free.

I’m not really in a good mood. I just want to look on the bright side for once. There’s enough suffering in the world as it is and me blogging about my weight seems so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I mean, who gives a monkeys if I’ve put on a few pounds? There are much worse things happening elsewhere.

So what am I doing right now?

After reading an article on Andy Kershaw that was in The Sunday Times, I’ve been reading old articles on Andy and I’m listening to an obituary on Ali Farka Toure, a Malian artist that Andy - a fan of African music - helped bring to prominence.

I have vague memories of listening to Andy Kershaw on radio 1. Well, actually, I remember my brother listening to Andy Kershaw's radio 1 show, which is how you know something is cool when an older sibling is into it first. I think I was too young to really understand the world music he played, at the time I was a teenager who lived for Jo Whiley and Steve Lamacq, but only now do I appreciate Andy’s eclectic musical taste and distinctive Lancashire accent that made his shows so unique.

The newspaper article highlighted the troubled times Andy has experienced in the last few years which was sad to read but I hope he's back on track. On my wee blog in the internet wilderness, I salute you, Andy. And I hope to read your autobio 'No Off Switch' soon. (His desert island discs is available to listen here)

No comments:

Post a Comment