Wednesday 29 June 2011

I feel old.

If you have an interest in fashion or blogs or teenage girls, or some kind of combination of all three, I’d put money on the fact that you've heard of Tavi, a precocious young blogger who garnered media attention for her writings on fashion. Her blog is ace and I’ve been reading it a lot recently.

Her writing seems to have moved on somewhat from fashion and more about her teenage life which I’ve found fascinating but also it has made me feel a little skeeved out. I’m twice her age... aren’t I a bit old to be reading about a teenage girl’s life? I had to check myself from commenting on one of her posts when I realised that my comment would consist of old fart reminiscing instead of the teenage joy of finding something new and exciting like the rest of the comments.

The thing is, Tavi writes about things that I still connect with. She has written extensively about My So-Called Life, a programme that defined my teenage years – I even got a bob haircut to be more like Angela Chase which looked hideous until I grew it out – and references a lot of other 90s culture that still resonates deeply with us old timers.

Shouldn’t she be blogging about dubstep and nu-rave rather than raiding the 90s culture closet and making me feel old?

Okay, okay, I always have the choice to click that little X button if I don’t like what I’m reading but the thing is, I really do like what I’m reading, that’s the problem!

I'm helpless to the instant fog of nostalgia that overcomes me when I think about stuff like this:

My so-called life OWNED MY SOUL during my teenage years. Despite being a British Asian muslim who attended a girls’ school, Angela Chase spoke to me. For reals, people. The beauty of the show was that no matter who you were, you could relate to all the trials and tribulations of Angela’s life. I felt her pain and anguish over Jordan Catalano, I wept when Rickie got thrown out his home, I laughed at Brian Krakow being all sad and pathetic.

The Romeo + Juliet soundtrack caught like wildfire at school. If you hadn't seen the film or listened to the soundtrack you were nothing! Ya hear me? NOTHING!!!

Clueless was like the Citizen Kane of teen movies. The fashion was captured brilliantly. My personal memories are of the time included the plaid. So much effin plaid. And tartan trousers. And my beloved red and black checked jacket that looked really boxy and masculine when I wore it and probably inspired my mum to buy me lots of jewellery (brooches and earrings) because only real girls sparkle!

I was completed entranced by the Twin Peaks theme tune. The actual programme, however, scared the bejesus out of me. Who killed Laura Palmer? I don't know. I couldn't get through the last episode without pissing my pants.


Now to be fair to Tavi, she mixes up her cultural references and frankly, there's no reason why she shouldn't explore the pop culture of the past. She does it so well. It just interferes with my mid-life crisis, 'tis all.


pic sources : 1. my scanned pic, 2. tumblr, 3. clueless screencaps, 4. fanpop

No comments:

Post a Comment