Saturday 25 June 2011

I dream a lot but I'll try not to talk about it.

I’m a dreamer.

Perhaps too much of a dreamer but unfortunately it’s an ingrained trait of my character. I am spectacularly self-absorbed. Or I as prefer to call it, introspective. Yes, I am very introspective.

It took me a long while to realise that when you talk about your dreams at length, chances are most people won’t be listening. It’s the verbal equivalent of picking the fluff out of your belly button. Insightful and informative for you – boring and possibly rather gross for everyone else.

However, in my blog, I want you, dear reader, to get to know me. This means you’re going to have get acquainted with my subconsciousness. Sorry, but them’s the breaks.

Anyway, aren’t dreams (in a general sense) genuinely fascinating? As a psychology graduate, studying the science of sleep was par for the course and one of the most popular modules. No one really knows why we sleep. All we know is that we need to sleep regularly because Sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations, impaired cognitive functioning and even death (in experiments with lab animals, aaw). The same goes for dreams. Sure, there are plenty of theories bouncing around but we don’t really know why we dream.

I dream a lot. They tend to be very obvious by-products of my consciousness. Anxiety, fear and worries crop up now and again depending on my mood.

Being muslim throws in another dimension. Bad dreams come from shaytan (devil) and conversely good dreams come from Allah SWT. Nightmares should not be spoken of for the 3 days afterwards lest something bad happen to you. They are not to be dwelled upon but rather forgotten. I’ve certainly had my fair share of them but what of the good dreams?

Here is last night’s dream. It was the usual choppy editing of my brain and I remember traipsing around some building. I was trying to apply for something. This isn’t surprising to me because it reflects my consciousness pretty clearly. However, what I remember clearly was being in my room. My window was open.



I have double glazing in real life but in my dream it was a single window pane that I used to have. The wind was blowing and a flurry of snow was blowing through my window and settling in my room like I was inside a snowglobe.



Heaps of beautiful, crisp white snow.




I was barefoot and couldn’t feel the cold (that’s how I knew I was dreaming, y’all!) but I attempted to shut my window as the flakes of snow continued to blow in.

As dreams go it was breathtakingly beautiful. It also reminded me of something.



Taylor Swift – Back to December

Does this mean, somewhere Taylor is having a dream about me?

If she is, I apologise in advance for my boring, humdrum existence. It is sadly lacking in cute boys and I left highschool a looooooooong while ago.


My dream was also reminiscent of the scene of The Little Princess but my wonderful, fluttering dream didn't seem to be have any meaning. Was it just a little nugget of beauty meant only to enchant me or was there a message behind it? (we're digging deep into the navel folks). Should I buy a snowglobe? Is it my destiny to travel to colder climes? Do I need to appreciate my doubled glazed windows for keeping the snow out?

Sadly, it seems to be a just a dream.

A trinket of my imagination that left me with a smile.

But it was such a nice dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment