Saturday 23 July 2011

Oslo

I’ve already said before that I’m no great shakes at blogging about current affairs but I feel I must address the Oslo tragedy. Yesterday when I watched the news, I only saw the bombed buildings with a fatalities tally of two. Today, I switch on the news and I see that there was a shooting at a youth camp driving up the total body count to 91 (so far - if you were to add up the bombing and shootings total). It’s completely horrific and my heart sincerely goes out to the victims and people of Norway.

Although I must admit when I saw the first pictures of the shattered building fronts and fallen debris, there was a tiny voice in my mind saying ‘please don’t let it be Muslim terrorists, please don’t let it be Muslim terrorists… I’ve had enough self-detonating lunatics dragging my religion through the mud and the weary sense of dread of whatever islamophobic backlash that may be coming my way. I can only wait for the dust to settle and people’s anger to die down for me to return back to a life without fear of reprisal.

It’s inevitable that everyone’s fingers were pointed at Islamist terrorists (and I can’t really blame anyone for doing so) and the speculation began in earnest on the news channels and the internet but it turns out, ‘fundamentalist anti-Muslim Christians’ are the suspects. The tiny voice in the back of my mind is sighing with relief. Totally selfish I know but when global events directly affect your day-to-day life you take a different view on things. I don't want to sound like a dispassionate bitch though and I comprehend that my feelings are molecular in size compared to the grief and sadness of people affected by these atrocities.

‘Christianity’ is trending on twitter and with it the sentiment of ‘ban all religion’. Christians must now defend their faith from the twisted ideologies of extreme far right perpetrators although I get the feeling they will be able to distance themselves more clearly than us Muslims have been able to from our demented counterparts. I’m curious to see how this will be represented in the media. Meanwhile, from the rubble and ruins, a country shaken to the core must rebuild their lives.

It’s not fair, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment