Wednesday 29 February 2012

Leap Day

It’s Leap Year Day!  Hurrah!  No one loves me!  Yay! 

Meh.

I’m completely unimpressed by all this women proposing nonsense.  I can’t help but take it personally that I have no one to propose to *sob sob* #imafailureasawoman but you know what?  I don’t care.  I really don’t give a flying ----.  I read an awesome quote on twitter which I’ve posted below:


I think that neatly sums up my thoughts.  To say such things might sound arrogant, like I think I’m too good for marriage, but that’s really not the case.  I’m clearly not good enough for anyone!

Anyway, for an extra day that comes along once every four years, couldn’t we do something more fun?  The whole reversal of genders for a proposal suggests that this extra day has a topsy-turvy quality to it.  Let’s live the whole day backwards!  Let’s have breakfast for dinner, an evening meal instead of cornflakes, elevenses at 11pm, lunch at… well, lunch.  I guess some things don’t change. 

If the Oscars were hosted today we could have had an alternate list of nominees as part of topsy turvy Leap day.  I’m rather disgruntled that Drive was nominated in one category only (which it lost) when it should have been the toast of the Oscars.  It would have been the cult film with its elite rabid fanbase (me included) cheering it on from the sidelines via twitter and tumblr. Its absence hasn’t gone unnoticed.  This fantabulous article from Hairpin gives an illustrated response of the film and this montage showcases all the neglected nominations of this year past: 



I’ve taken a break from Lovefilm because frankly the costs of renting out DVDs don’t outweigh the benefits (films have been crap) but Drive was the last good film I saw.

As part of my topsy turvy Leap day, I think Ryan Gosling, the star of Drive, should in fact propose to me.  Yes!  Come on, Ryan, I’m here, waiting for you to take me out for a romantic breakfast and followed by a sunset on the beach proposal.  A perfect end to a Leap Year Day. 



print, cut out and keep version of 'The Driver'

No comments:

Post a Comment